Saturday, September 29, 2012

Hello? Is anyone home?

Flying through Gallente space I activated my communications system while I admired the local nebulae. There is nothing in space as the beautiful soft cyan and green rolling nebulae that seem to dance across the sky.

I was readmitted to uni today and I tried accessing their communications network. After I gained access I tried entering the different channels but apparently the network won't accept my authorization credentials. I could bring up the frequencies on my communication console but I couldn't access any of them much to my disappointment. After ten minutes of working on the software as well as attempting to update my credentials I end by slamming the console with my fist in a fit of frustration. I'm flying in a ship that has the most impressive electronic package for any ship in all of New Eden and yet I can't access basic communication channels. It's very frustrating sometimes.

So in my frustration I docked at the nearest station so I could shoot a quick communique to the proper administrative mid-manager about updating my authorization codes. I started looking through old classes and stumbled over a lecture about intermediate tackling that was taught by an old pilot I remember flying with in the Low Sec camp. He was a great pilot and I was excited to hear a lecture that was beyond the cursory tactics that I've heard rehashed time and time again.

While the lecture was great and I really learned a lot, it did get me thinking about my future career aspirations and the path I should take, at least in the short term. I realized that my issue has really been surrounding my training focus. I've been trying to focus on too many areas instead of specializing. So I decided to focus on electronic warfare. My skills as a recon ECM pilot is pretty good but my skills in other forms of ewar is rather weak. I've decided to focus on building up my skills in further specializing my knowledge of ECM as well as focusing on flying interceptor ships. Flying a cloaky ECM boat always put me in situations when I would engage only at the middle to end of a fight. But if I were flying interceptor style ships I would be the first on grid which would help me gain a tremendous amount of experience engaging different types of ships as well as the first pilot who will be evaluating the enemy.

Talking to a few pilots in the station though while I was looking at faster frigates (used specifically for interception piloting) they tried to deter me from purchasing the Caldari frigates I was looking at. They told me that they were probably the worst interceptors on the market. This was a little deflating as I had only taken a crash course in basic Minmatar piloting. A few months ago I got it into my head that I wanted to fly the rifter so took a shitty little course in a backwoods system deep in a lowsec Minmatar region. So this means I'd have to take a more legitimate class on Minmatar ship operation which will take a couple weeks. But at least that will open me up for flying recon ships the Minmatar offer.

The one disadvantage of this discussion, and one that has really given me pause, is that it will prevent me from working towards moving up the ladder with respect to the potential for leadership roles at the university. I really would like to learn how to command large fleets as well as handle corporate administrative tasks successfully.

But hopefully I can use this to make myself a better pilot which will help my leadership skills later on.

We'll see I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. I've never flown any Caldari Interceptors so I don't know first hand, but the Crow can be pretty dangerous if you fly and fit it right. I got the inspiration for my blog from Taurean Eltanin and his Punisher Plan, which I pretty much copied. I'd definitely recommend reading through his blog.

    Plus, as far as the Crow is concerned, he flew one for a while and had some great success. Here's the link for his post titled "Fitting a Crow" and from there you can read about some of his fights.

    http://flight-of-dragons.blogspot.com/2011/12/fitting-crow.html


    Fly dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I'm actually seriously considering trying to learn to fly it. I can fly caldari interceptors right now and I'm really considering learning how to fly ships that people generally look down on. So hopefully I can get better (and more) fights.

      BTW I love your blog. Your blog is one of the blogs that prompted me to start my own.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to "serious " bloging business, hope you enjoy it here.
    I am trying to go the "way of the warrior" myself, I want to be a combat pilot, this seams a simple idea, but what is it exactly?

    Find other ships and pew pew?

    But there are so many nuances in this game, like for instance your expertise, scouting and EW, so much to learn and so few time.

    I fill I will never go your path (scout and ew), but I need to know it at least, in hope to survive, but I am still new and learning so I have time.

    Enjoy it out there, both in blog and in game.

    ReplyDelete